HOME BUYING GUIDE
Our Three Pronged Approach to Helping You Find Your Next Home
- THE SEARCH
Your broker will assist you throughout the home search process. There are many ways to search for a home today but nothing will replace your broker’s knowledge of the local market. They will ask the right questions to help narrow down the type of home and neighborhood you are looking for.
Combined with automated property searches delivered directly to your email inbox will ensure you never miss a listing in which you are interested. In a competitive market it’s important to receive timely, accurate information so that you beat the competition to the closing table.
We will also help you:
If you are not a cash buyer, the first step we will take is to determine your financing ability. This step is very important, as when you do find the property that is right for you, we can make an offer based on your pre-approval status, a very important factor in the eyes of sellers.
The first step in the financing process is to meet with a reputable lender. He or she will review your financial status, determine what you can spend on a home, and decide on the best method of financing for your situation.
You may want to talk with more than one lender so you can select one with whom you are comfortable working. Starbuck Realty Group can provide a list of lenders to help you find one that is right for you.
Working with a local lender in today’s market is highly recommended and some sellers will only accept offers from buyers using a lender that is local.
Want to know more about pre-qualification versus pre-approval and the types of financing available? Check out our article "Home Financing Options Explained" on our blog.
Determine Your Search Criteria
There are many criteria you may want to consider when searching for a home. Our brokers will discuss options to consider. You can also fill out our Home Wish List Form to have one of our brokers help you get started on your search.
Search for Homes That Meet Your Criteria
Searching online for homes has become the norm these days. Starbuck Realty Group offers a user-friendly property search on our website. Our data comes directly from Metrolist Multiple Listing Service (MLS.) All listings are refreshed daily so that you see the most recent, up to date data available on the web.
We offer several features that will enhance your search experience online, including:
- Map searches
- City and neighborhoods searches
- Email property notifications
- One click showings requests
- Saved search and property features
Starbuck Realty Group understands that not everyone embraces searching for a home on the internet. We will be more than happy to search for a home that meets your needs and notify you when good candidates become available on the market.
Schedule and Conduct Showings
Showings are coordinated by your real estate broker and usually can be set-up for the same day. Please keep in mind, that some sellers require a 24-hour or greater advanced notice for showings.
There are 3 ways to conveniently schedule a showing:
- Click “Schedule a showing” on our website when viewing the property you would like to see
- Call one of our brokers
- Email one of our brokers
- CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS
Once the perfect home is found it’s time to talk price, contract terms, dates, and much more. Contract negotiations can be a stressful time during the home buying process. Let our experience, knowledge, and attention to detail work for you so that you can make the best decisions for you and your family. We will assist you during the contract negotiations in the following areas:
Competitive Market Analysis
A Competitive Market Analysis, often referred to as a CMA, is a valuable tool to help determine a starting price when putting together an offer.
Your broker will research comparable homes that have recently sold in your neighborhood. It is very rare to find a home that is identical to the one in which you are interested for comparison purposes. That is where your broker’s experience and knowledge of the local market come into play. They will be able to make adjustments to the comparable property’s sales price to make it more closely resemble the subject.
Making an Offer
Making an offer isn’t just about price. There are a myriad of other things to consider. Your broker will help formulate an offer that will represent your best interests in the transaction. Some of the things that should be considered are:
- Closing date
- Closing cost concessions
- Financing options
- Inclusions and exclusions
- Dates and deadlines for major events during the contract
- Offer acceptance deadline
- Contract default provisions
- Notifcation of delivery
Offering Recommendations for the Use of Transactional Professionals
Starbuck Realty Group recommends that you consider hiring the following professionals in connection with your real estate transaction:
- Attorney - Neither Starbuck Realty Group nor Mark McClung can provide you with legal advice in this or any transaction. Other third parties such as title companies and lenders also cannot provide you with legal advice. Should you want independent legal advice, you should contact an attorney.
- Tax Advisor - An attorney, accountant, or other tax advisor may be able to provide you with tax advice in connection with this transaction.
- Inspections - A licensed home or building inspector can provide you with valuable services in the general inspection of the improvements of the property. Additional inspections can be conducted, where appropriate, by qualified professionals for pest, well/septic, sewer scope, structural engineering, architectural, or other specialized inspections.
- Surveyor - A survey prepared by a licensed surveyor can establish the location of boundary lines, improvements, set-back lines, and easements.
- Environmental - Environmental conditions of the property can be reviewed by a qualified environmental assessment company. Specialized tests can be conducted for a variety of potentially hazardous conditions such as lead-based paint, radon, asbestos, and toxic mold.
Your home, whether for personal use or investment, is probably the most expensive purchase you will make. It is important to make a wise and knowledgeable decision. Although home inspections are not required in Colorado, Starbuck Realty Group strongly recommends that your offer to purchase a home be contingent on a home inspection that is acceptable to you. An offer based on an inspection contingency allows you to request repairs to be made by the seller or you can terminate the contract based on the findings of the inspection.
There are many types of inspection services including:
- overall home inspection
- termite inspection
- radon inspection
- sewer line inspection
- asbestos inspection
- lead inspection
- structural engineering inspection
- well and septic inspection
- toxic mold.
Preparing and Attending the Closing
The anticipated day is finally here, and the keys to your new home will soon be in your possession!
The closing usually takes place at a title company designated by the seller. A title agent, sometimes known as a closing coordinator, will facilitate the closing. He or she will ensure all documents are signed by both parties as well as answer any questions you may have. Your broker will be present to ensure everything runs smoothly and advocate for you in the event a problem arises.
Once all documents are signed, money is transferred, and keys are exchanged, you are officially the new owner!
- PERSONAL TOUCH
You are serious about finding your next home and so are we. Our experience and attention to detail will make for a smooth experience all the way to the closing table. Have a question? We are only a phone call, text, or email away.
Our Committment to You
What we will do in our partnership to help you purchase the property right for you:
- Uphold all ethical standards as detailed in the Realtor Code of Ethics.
- Provide everyone with equal access to housing, as a commitment to the spirit and letter of the law.
- Maintain confidential all information we discuss and treat you honestly.
- Listen carefully to you.
- Share with you all information of which I have knowledge relating to your home search and the property on which you want to make an offer.
- Search for homes on the multiple listing service that meet your criteria.
- Contact home sellers with any information requests or questions you may have.
- Allow you to make the decisions that affect your real estate needs. We will not make decisions for you, even at your request.
- Not let our personal relationship with others deter us from cooperating with them to accomplish your transaction.
- Provide you with the agency disclosure forms and explain the options available to you, including the manner in which we sell our own listings.
- Create market analysis on properties or areas that you are interested in. The comparative market analysis will help determine the price, terms, and conditions for your offer.
- Encourage you to use transactional professionals such as home inspectors, attorneys, appraisers, accountants, etc. to assist you in the transaction.
- Communicate openly with you, in the manner you prefer, on a regular basis to review our progress and any changes in market conditions.
- Only accept compensation from sources that I have first disclosed to you.
- Follow up and follow through on all details of the process.
- Create and deliver all contracts securely online (or in person, if desired) to allow for swift execution and delivery.
Our goal is to make the buying process as seamless and stress-free as possible to you.
Meet Our Team
JEN STARBUCK McCLUNG
Marketing Director / Owner
RESOURCES FOR BUYERS
Tools to Help You with the Home Buying Process